If your answer to any of the following questions is “Yes”, you may need improve your nutrition. You should discuss with your doctor how best to do this.
• has your doctor discussed with you about an existing medical problem or a risk factor which could lead to one, such as high blood pressure or high cholesterol?
• has your doctor suggested to you that this condition could be improved by better nutrition?
• do you have a history of diabetes, cancer, heart disease or osteoporosis in your family?
• are you currently overweight?
• do you have questions about whether the kinds of food you are currently eating are appropriate?
• are you unsure whether you should be taking vitamins?
• do you think that it would benefit you to see a registered dietitian, a member of the health care team who specializes in nutrition counseling?
Will it be hard to change my eating habits?
It will probably not be easy to change your eating habits but the good thing is that even very small changes can make considerable improvements in your health.. The critical thing is to keep choosing healthy foods and to stay in touch with your doctor, and your dietitian if you have one, so they can monitor how your progress and advise you as you progress.
Here are some suggestions that can help you improve your eating habits:
• identify the strengths and weaknesses in your current diet.
– do you eat at least four 1/2 cups of fruits and vegetables every day?
– do you get enough calcium?
– do you eat whole-grain, high-fiber foods regularly?
If so, you’re on the right track. keep it up. If you are not, add more of these foods to your daily diet.
• keep a diary of your food intake by writing down what you eat and drink every day. This record will help you see if you need to eat more from any food groups (such as fruits, vegetables or dairy products) or if you need to eat less of a food group (such as processed or high-fat foods).
• if you haven’t already done so, consider asking for help from a dietitian, especially if you have a medical condition that requires you to follow a special diet.